Review: Ember by Rachel Van Dyken

Sunday, October 04, 2015
This is a dark mafia romance. It can be read as a stand alone but is recommended to read within the Eagle Elite Series. No Cliffhanger Everybody Loves A Bit of Darkness..Until It Consumes Them... I am a Killer. A Rapist. A Monster. I know only pain and survival. That is until the Cappo's sister walked into my life. And changed everything. She's a light who makes my darkness darker, her smile makes my heart turn to ice, and I can't escape the fear her seductive looks instill--knowing it's only a matter of time before I fail--again, and take her for myself. This is the story of my redemption. But it's not pretty...I died, and now I'm alive, but not living, breathing but not surviving. I am Phoenix De Lange, son to a murdered mob boss, estranged brother, horrible friend, monster in the making, newest leader to one of the most powerful families in the Cosa Nostra. And I will have my vengeance. Or die trying. I am Phoenix De Lange. Death is all I know. Until she offers me a piece of life--I can't resist taking.






5 STARS!!


I don't know what it is about this series that just clicks with me, but I have to say Phoenix's book may be my favourite out of all the books. If you know the series you'll remember the time when Phoenix tried to force himself on Trace, back then I new he was getting his own book and I wondered how the hell he would redeem himself. Thankfully his character really did redeem himself, obviously it was not an easy road and sometimes I felt like everyone was against him but then again knowing what he did I couldn't blame them.


I am a Killer. A Rapist. A Monster.

I know only pain and survival.


Phoenix De Lange is now the ruling Boss of the Nicolasi crime family, unfortunately the family want nothing to do with him. But the fact that Phoenix has set a formidable reputation for himself helps. Apart from his responsibilities as a Boss, he's also been given the task of being Bianka (Tex's sister) Campisi's, bodyguard. There was a lot of angst surrounding Bee and Phoenix's relationship. For Bee, Phoenix is the first guy who's ever treated her right, the first friend she's ever had and also the man who protected her from her abusive father. Phoenix's self worth as been spiraling down since he came back, he doesn't feel good enough to be loved. His friends bless them but they don't help either. Bee is the first person to look past the horrifying things he did for his family.


Aside from Bee and Phoenix's story we also get a POV from Sergio, and the next book, Elude is his book. I'm not sure if I'll be able to read since the ending is not a guaranteed happy one. Other than that, this was another stellar installment in the Eagle Elite Series. There were some seriously funny moments, it's not an Elite Book unless people are shooting at each other.

"You are everything." His full lips trembled as he spoke. "You are everything that's beautiful and pure in this world, and you deserve so much better than this life, than what any of us have to offer. Than what I have to offer."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts