ARC REVIEW: Wicked Burn by Rebecca Zanetti

Wednesday, June 08, 2016














Includes the brand new Dark Protectors novella, 'Talen'!
Simone Brightston knows she can beat the rap her enemies are pinning on her. An Irish witch is nobody's fool, and she didn't get to her position on the high council without serious power. But her cousins want her to hide out—and they somehow convinced her arch nemesis to play getaway driver.
Of all the men she's known, Nikolaj Veis is the hardest to intimidate. With his demon-dark eyes and his inscrutable beauty, he's as desirable as he is dangerous. And he knows better than to underestimate Simone. So when he pulls up on a roaring bike and tells her to climb on or fight it out, she grabs a handful of jacket and holds on tight. Running from the law may not be the smartest plan. But when it comes to Nick, hot pursuit and a blazing fast ride are exactly what Simone's looking for . . .







He smiled, even while his lids half-lowered. "Caveman? Oh, hell no, baby. This is modern man, modern demon... all aboveboard and truthful. I'm not using subterfuge, and I'm not going vampire-ape on you. I'm calmly, very pointedly, telling you how it's going to be. If there's a threat to you., I'll do whatever it takes to get you to safety."


Well that was one action packed ride!
I basically jumped into the thick of things since I hadn't read the previous books in the series, so you won't be surprised when I tell you there was some confusion when I started reading this book. I'm completely unfamiliar with this world of witches, shifters and demons that Zanetti has created. But fortunately after a couple of chapters I was able to keep up with the story.

You'll notice I used the phrase "keep up" well that's because this story could never be called boring. If it could happen, then it happened in this book. Just non-stop action, fast paced story line which I loved but I will admit to getting a bit overwhelmed at times.

Nick and Simone's connection was pretty intense from the start. And the glimpse I got from their past further intensified the connection. After a century apart from the woman he loves, Nick is ready to take her back. Simone wants nothing to do with him, he broke her heart and damaged her pride after she'd given him everything. So you'd be correct in saying that this is a second chance romance... of the paranormal kind.

Nick is a demon and holds a very important role in the vampire community. Simone is a witch who's role is just as important as Nick's is in her own world. The conflict between them was not so much external bit more because of Simone being on the defensive, not wanting to let Nick back into her life. Understandably.

I loved their dynamic, I enjoyed how growly and dominant yet gentle Nick was. This book had some great sexual tension but at times I felt like it kind of ruined a particularly great scene. I felt like shouting kick some ass and stop the bad guys or get out of harms way and then you can bump uglies ya know. But that's just me.

A shiver wound through his body to his groin. Jesus. He was about to take on a cadre of witches, and his cock wanted to play? Simone Brightson had always destroyed his system.


Like I said this book was action packed and had quite a few twists giving the plot some complexity. I will say that in some instances it did lack momentum, I needed that. You need to get me all riled up before you throw a plot twist at me. All in all this was a great urban fantasy with really strong characters and I'll definitely be looking out for more from this author and this series.

"I love you, you know," she murmured, her hand now flattened over his heart, which she'd owned for centuries.


ARC kindly provided by publisher via Netgalley in return for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts